Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Tuning Bacula

2010-10-07 17:27:06
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Tuning Bacula
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: Tim Gustafson <tjg AT soe.ucsc DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 17:24:09 -0400
>> Is the MySQL database storage on the same RAID array you are
>> writing backups to?
>
> Yes and no.  Currently, in our "dev" environment, they are both on the same
> physical RAID array, but Bacula operates in a separate jail from mySQL.  When
> we move to production, the director will probably run on one server and the
> storage daemon on another, so maybe that will help?

Having the database on the same hard drives or raid array will greatly
reduce the filesystem performance because of all the seeking back and
forth to write to the database. Without attribute spooling or batch
(not sure if that is postgres only) after each file is read the
database needs to add records.

John