Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Tuning Bacula

2010-10-04 16:06:33
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Tuning Bacula
From: Rory Campbell-Lange <rory AT campbell-lange DOT net>
To: Tim Gustafson <tjg AT soe.ucsc DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2010 21:03:54 +0100
On 04/10/10, Tim Gustafson (tjg AT soe.ucsc DOT edu) wrote:
> ...we're getting pretty pitiful throughput numbers.  When I scp a file
> from my workstation to the Bacula server, I get something like 40MB/s
> (320Mb/s).  When Bacula runs, we're lucky to get 20MB/s (160Mb/s), and
> we often get numbers closer to 10MB/s (80Mb/s).

As others have mentioned, the key is to try and work out where the
contention is.

It may be useful to run iftop on the network interfaces of the Bacula
server to see what the network IO is like, and then compare that to
iotop to see what the disk IO is like.

Bear in mind that if you are using spooling (although I assume you
aren't), the fd-client status throughput stats reported are half of the
actual native speed. This is because the throughput calculation is based
on the speed from client to destination, so the time taken is the sum of
the network transfer from the client to the spool, and then from the
spool to the tape. That, anyhow, might be a reason for the roughly 50%
factor you report.

If disk IO is the issue it might be useful to verify that your database
(what sort?) is running on a separate disk array, that your raid
controller has caching enabled (you need a BBU for this to be safe) and
that you have a good filesystem for your backup needs (the best one for
us is XFS).

Rory

--
Rory Campbell-Lange