Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Tuning Bacula

2010-10-06 07:16:34
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Tuning Bacula
From: Foo <bfoo33 AT yahoo.co DOT uk>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2010 13:13:51 +0200
On Mon, 04 Oct 2010 19:37:32 +0200, Tim Gustafson <tjg AT soe.ucsc DOT edu>
wrote:

> However, we're getting pretty pitiful throughput numbers.  When I scp a
> file from my workstation to the Bacula server, I get something like
> 40MB/s (320Mb/s).  When Bacula runs, we're lucky to get 20MB/s
> (160Mb/s), and we often get numbers closer to 10MB/s (80Mb/s).

Are you scp-ing one large file to establish base speed? Your average
server's filesystem seldom allows 40 MB/s sustained because it often
consists of many thousands of small and often fragmented files. Over time
W2k3 suffers most from this, a defrag run or two will often yield the
biggest speed increase of them all. Linux with ext3 is much more robust in
this respect, although some new W2k8 servers are doing pretty well here so
far.

As long as you are using something like an average 7200 rpm 2 disk RAID1
setup speed will also degrade very quickly if a few other read/write
actions are taking place at the same time simply due to seeking. The only
solution for that is to move the main bottlenecks to memory and/or use
SSDs. For ext3/4 you might also want to try the noatime mount option in
/etc/fstab.

Lastly, if you depend on every server doing high speeds it will be an
expensive exercise, you should concentrate on saturating the backup
storage by running more than one job at the same time.