Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] project.bacula.org weee!

2010-10-01 17:44:48
Subject: [Bacula-users] project.bacula.org weee!
From: Jeroen van Meeuwen <kanarip AT kanarip DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 23:41:40 +0200
Hi there,

For those of you who may not know me yet, please allow me to introduce myself;

My name is Jeroen van Meeuwen, and I've been a sucker for Free Software since
like a decade or so. Such resulted in -amongst other things- a meeting with
Jack Griffin at the Red Hat Partner Summit in Malta, from which point on
forward I was no longer just another Bacula user, sorta speak ;-) If you're
interested in a full story, I'll be more then happy to tell you all about it
some time, under the condition that there's beer ;)

My heritage lays within Red Hat Linux and later on the Fedora Project, and by
now -through building a resume in the public domain-, I'm proud to say I am a
sole trader as a Free Software Consultant.

That said, my interest is enabling other people.

That said, during the Bacula Developer Conference (which was actually more
like a Bacula Summit, "everyone who was anyone" was there, you better be next
time!), an interesting subject came to the table -there were way more
interesting subjects but this is the one that this thread is about;

This subject is http://project.bacula.org -you can actually visit it like
right now if you want to.

Let me try and explain what project.bacula.org could be about; please provide
feedback if you want to.

It could be *the* place to go to, to see what other people are doing with
Bacula, collaborate, develop, comment. For one, I have a set of scripts and
strategies for certain third-party applications that just... might... interest
other people. I just know these scripts to be a sub-optimal approach. Now,
suppose I were to share these scripts and strategies through some arbitrary
location.... You know Google is not going to find it when you search for it
;-) Not could anyone log any bugs against it. Nor could anyone further develop
any of it.

Then there's the number of scripts, 3rd party utilities, and so forth, which
may or may not be included in our wiki, that are in remote locations, or not
in a source code management system of any kind. Wouldn't you just love to have
them all in one place?

So, I would love to get to know what you think project.bacula.org should be
like for you! I might just get started on implementing it right-away! ;-)

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip