Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Issue backing up Oracle database using Bacula

2010-06-29 07:23:49
Subject: [Bacula-users] Issue backing up Oracle database using Bacula
From: Mogaroy <bacula-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 07:18:16 -0400

Mike Holden wrote:
> nagaraj mogaroy wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the reply, I have double checked all the points
> > highlighted by
> > you, and they all seem OK.All the scripts are in place with 775
> > permissions,
> > and their paths mentioned correctly in sudoers file.Proper
> > permissions have
> > also been assigned to the bacula and oracle users.
> >
> > Any other suggestions, please?
> >

> The multiple error messages
>

> > unknown command beginning "/var/oracl..." - rest of line ignored
> >

> imply that it is having trouble executing the shell commands. This
> could be for one (or more) of several reasons, including any of the
> following:
>
> 1. The file name does not exist
> 2. The file exists, but it does not have execute permission for the
> current user.
> 3. The file exists and has correct permissions, but the user doesn't
> have permissions to descend into the higher directories (missing
> read and/or execute permissions on /var, /var/oracle etc).
> 4. The script is ok, but it includes a line at the top which looks
> like "#!/bin/sh" or similar (without the quotes) (often called a
> "shebang" line), but the file /bin/sh doesn't exist. You will need
> to correct the location of the appropriate sh or bash or ksh
> executable file in this case.
> 5. sudo or some other security mechanism (SELinux etc) is blocking
> execution. You may be able to check the logs for these applications
> to see if this is the case.
> --
> Mike Holden
>
> http://www.by-ang.com - the place to shop
> for all manner of hand crafted items,
> including Jewellery, Greetings Cards and Gifts

Thanks Mike,

Will recheck the points you mentioned.Meanwhile, some searching has led me to
feel that it has something to do with the PL/SQL script (runhotbackup.sql)
which does the actual backup to local disk (/var/oracle/backup) in my case.
The 'host' command which is used in the script to rsync the datafiles is not
recognized by PL/SQL, and maybe that's causing it to throw the errors.

http://www.orafaq.com/wiki/PL/SQL_FAQ

To verify, I tried copying a single file, running the command manually from SQL
prompt, and the file got copied successfully.

But, since the author of the script has tested the whole thing successfully,
I'm wondering if it indeed is the cause.

I came upon an earlier thread where the author mentions about his article, and
I'm following it up there as well hoping to find a solution:

Thanks,
NK Mogaroy