Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Automated restore job?

2010-06-22 21:19:26
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Automated restore job?
From: "James Harper" <james.harper AT bendigoit.com DOT au>
To: "Peter Eisch" <peter AT boku DOT net>, <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 11:16:09 +1000

> I have a system currently being backed up and I'd like to daily
perform a
> restore of it's backup to a shadow system (think warm-standby).
>
> While I guess I could rsync the appropriate dirs between the systems,
is
> there a way I could leverage this through a restore?

You can pipe commands directly into bconsole, eg:

bconsole <<EOF
restore client=target-fd
5
mark *
done
yes
EOF

The '5' is the 'Select most recent backup for a client' option. If you
knew the jobid you could just put that in the restore command eg
'restore jobid=12345 client=target-fd' but if you want to restore the
latest backup then you'll need to use the former approach.

You could also issue a 'wait' command after you start the restore but I
think you'd need to know the jobid of the job you just started for that
to be useful, and getting that might be hard.

There may be a better way of scripting bacula too, but the above is what
I use when I'm just testing.

James