Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Automated restore job?

2010-06-22 22:36:41
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Automated restore job?
From: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 22:33:52 -0400
On 06/22/10 21:16, James Harper wrote:

>> I have a system currently being backed up and I'd like to daily
> perform a
>> restore of it's backup to a shadow system (think warm-standby).
>>
>> While I guess I could rsync the appropriate dirs between the systems,
> is
>> there a way I could leverage this through a restore?
>>

> You can pipe commands directly into bconsole, eg:
>
> bconsole <<EOF
> restore client=target-fd
> 5
> mark *
> done
> yes
> EOF
>
> The '5' is the 'Select most recent backup for a client' option. If you
> knew the jobid you could just put that in the restore command eg
> 'restore jobid=12345 client=target-fd' but if you want to restore the
> latest backup then you'll need to use the former approach.
>
> You could also issue a 'wait' command after you start the restore but I
> think you'd need to know the jobid of the job you just started for that
> to be useful, and getting that might be hard.
>
> There may be a better way of scripting bacula too, but the above is what
> I use when I'm just testing.

However, if your purpose is simply to mirror, rather than to continually
test the latest backup, then it's probably considerably more *efficient*
to use rsync.  In fact, *unless* you want to do the daily restore as a
test to make sure the backups are good, you might want to consider
mirroring the live machine to the warm standby with rsync, then backing
up the warm standby.

co.ordinate DOT org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.