Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula interrupted by signal 11: Segmentation violation

2010-06-21 17:52:16
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula interrupted by signal 11: Segmentation violation
From: Robert LeBlanc <robert AT leblancnet DOT us>
To: Martin Simmons <martin AT lispworks DOT com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 15:49:26 -0600
On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 8:48 AM, Martin Simmons <martin AT lispworks DOT com> wrote:
> I've had two crashes over the weekend, and all I got both times was
> (PID was different):
>
> ptrace: No such process.
> /var/lib/bacula/4153: No such file or directory.

The second message is normal (it is a misfeature of gdb), but the "ptrace: No
such process" is surprising.

> I guess I'll have to run bacula through gdb to find out what is going on.

Yes, that's probably the best approach.  It allows gdb to take control as soon
as the segmentation violation occurs.

root@lsbacsd0:/usr/sbin# gdb ./bacula-sd
GNU gdb (GDB) 7.0.1-debian
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.  Type "show copying"
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "x86_64-linux-gnu".
Reading symbols from /usr/sbin/bacula-sd...(no debugging symbols found)...done.

Looks like the Debian maintainers strip out the debugging symbols and do not provide a debug package. Looks like I'll have to re-build the package to see what the error is. This is probably why I didn't get anything e-mailed to me.

Robert LeBlanc
Life Sciences & Undergraduate Education Computer Support
Brigham Young University