Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Pool file/job retention not updating

2010-05-31 04:26:54
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Pool file/job retention not updating
From: Machiel van Veen <mvv AT sentia DOT nl>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 10:24:26 +0200
On Friday 28 May 2010 05:52:36 pm Martin Simmons wrote:

> > > It is a bug in the show pool command in the current releases.  I don't
> > > know if it will be fixed in the next release because the latest source
> > > is no longer available.
> > >
> > > __Martin
> >
> > Thanks for your reply, however that does mean the having the file and job
> > retention in the pool directive does not seem to function as I
> > hoped/understood.
> >
> > I have a setup running two jobs for one client. Both jobs have their own
> > pool with their own retention times. But when the job with the shortest
> > retention time runs it also prunes jobs and file records from the other
> > job with the longer retention times set.
> >
> > Is it correct I need to create two clients with their own configurations
> > in order to have two jobs with diferent retention times? Pruning is done
> > based on the client, not the job and/or pool?
>
> Setting up two clients is the only safe way to do it.
>
> The JobRetention and FileRetention in the pool do override the settings in
>  the client, but not in a useful way.  The problem is that autopruning runs
>  after every job, but it uses the retention time from the job's pool or
>  client.  That single retention time is applied to all other backups for
>  the client, even those from other pools.
>
> __Martin

Thanks for the reply, good to know I understand it correctly now. It is
strange it works the way it does though. I see no added value to having
job/file retention in the pool like this.

The feature description and even comments in the source still suggest to me
would work the way I understood before. Perhaps if a dev reads this they can
make the documentation more clear, correct it.

Machiel.