Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] cancelled duplicate job shows up as failed

2010-05-31 02:12:40
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] cancelled duplicate job shows up as failed
From: Silver Salonen <silver AT ultrasoft DOT ee>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 09:09:39 +0300
OK, to indicate where the problem is..

I have these assumptions about backup-jobs (tell me if some of them are
insensible):

1) Full and differential backups must always run on friday - otherwise jobs
lasting more than 12 hours may disturb working.

2) If full or differential backup fails, it must be ran again - otherwise full
backups may start aging and thus needed backup SLAs may not be met.

3) Duplicate jobs must not run - if a full job lasts more than 24 hours and
there is another job starting in 24 hours, full backups will cycle forever.

Anyone else having these assumptions?

To my understanding it is currently not possible to configure this kind of job
with options ("Rerun Failed Levels = yes" and "Allow Higher Duplicates = no")
meant straight for that, because they do not work well together.

The best compromise seems to be throwing out assumption 2 and setting "Max
Full Interval" to force full backups being up-to-date, but this setting may
cause a full backup to start on a wrong week-day (that could be a serious
problem in some cases).

--
Silver