Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] continuous access backup with bacula

2010-05-19 11:27:57
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] continuous access backup with bacula
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 11:25:00 -0400
On 5/16/2010 11:58 AM, Giovanni S. wrote:

> Josh Fisher wrote:
>
>> Are you saying there are two server machines? If so, then how do both
>> bacula-sd's see both tape libraries? If not, then I don't understand why
>> there are two bacula-sd's.
>>

> The two servers and the two tape libraries are connected to the same SAN, so
> each bacula-sd has configured both the tape libraries. I think that I need
> this configuration in order to copy jobs between tapes of different tape
> libraries.

You don't need two separate SDs to do that. The Copy job will copy a job
stored on a tape belonging to one pool to a tape belonging to another
(different) pool. Say there are two pools, P1 and P2. All tapes loaded
into library 1 are put into pool P1. All tapes in library 2 are put into
pool P2. A backup job is defined with Pool=P1 and NextPool=P2. So the
backup job always writes to tapes in pool P1, and every tape in P1 is in
library 1. When a copy job is later run, it will use the NextPool
defined for the pool the backup job was written to, which is in this
case P2. So, the copy job will copy the original backup job from a tape
in pool P1, writing it to a tape in pool P2. Because all of the P2 tapes
are in library 2 and all of the P1 tapes are in library 1, the copy job
will always copy from a library 1 tape to a library 2 tape.