Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Autochanger and volume selection

2010-05-14 16:08:03
Subject: [Bacula-users] Autochanger and volume selection
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 16:05:32 -0400
When changing magazines in an autochanger, the update slots command
let's Bacula know which volumes are currently in-changer. However,for
the next job, Bacula will still select the last volume written to in the
pool being used for the job, though that volume is no longer in-changer,
and even if there are available volumes that are in-changer. Bacula
knows that the volume is not in-changer, so requests a mount for that
volume. If update volume is used to change the volume status from Append
to Used, then Bacula will select one of the in-changer volumes as
expected and all is well.

I have been routinely updating volume status to Used for the last volume
written to in each pool when changing magazines, and that works well.
Still, it seems to me that this wouldn't be necessary if Bacula favored
selecting an in-changer volume, even if it had to promote one from the
Scratch pool, over a volume that is not in-changer and so will require a
mount. Anybody have any suggestions or thoughts on this?