Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] restore from tapes

2010-05-14 06:03:01
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] restore from tapes
From: Martin Simmons <martin AT lispworks DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 11:00:40 +0100

> Trying to find out best practices for restoring a stack of tapes to disk
> in a disaster recovery situation (ie datacenter exploded, all I have is
> tapes, drive and server).
>
> I tried running:
>
>   bextract -V 000010L2 /dev/nst0 /restore
>
> Let it run for 15 minutes or so and it wasn't dumping out any data so I
> killed it.

Did bextract print anything?  It should print the full path of each file as it
encounters it.

Maybe it was unable to keep up with tape data so the drive was continually
rewinding?  That would probably be noticable if you can hear the drive.

> So it looks like it to 4 - 5 hours to dump out the tape. Hit the end of
> the tape maybe and never prompted for a new tape to continue?

bextract doesn't prompt for new tapes, but you can put multiple volumes
separated by | on the command line.

__Martin