Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Feature idea feeler - bconsole "include / grep"

2010-05-11 19:54:03
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Feature idea feeler - bconsole "include / grep"
From: Frank Sweetser <fs AT WPI DOT EDU>
To: mark.bergman AT uphs.upenn DOT edu
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 19:51:20 -0400
On 5/10/2010 7:39 PM, mark.bergman AT uphs.upenn DOT edu wrote:

> In the message dated: Mon, 10 May 2010 13:26:51 +1000,
> The pithy ruminations from Norberto Meijome on
> <Re: [Bacula-users] Feature idea feeler - bconsole "include / grep">  were:
>
> =>
> =>  (and to the list.. Apologies Gavin for private reply...)
> =>
> =>  On 7 May 2010 19:19, Gavin McCullagh<gavin.mccullagh AT gcd DOT ie>
> wrote:
> =>
> =>  >  On Thu, 06 May 2010, Steve Polyack wrote:
> =>  >
>
>       [SNIP!]
>
> =>  >  >  bconsole session.  However, perhaps a solution would be to have
> bconsol=
> =>  e
> =>  >  >  parse the pipe character and feed output into the command that
> follows
> =>  >  >  which could be any arbitrary *nix command (as opposed to
> =>  >  >  writing/including our own version of grep).
> =>  >
>
> I think that's a great suggestion, and the cleanest way to do this. I'd add
> one
> thing, which is to have bconsole detect ">" in a command as well. The logic
> would be (in bad pseudo-code):

While this is definitely a neat feature, my biggest concern is that this would
be a gigantic privilege escalation hole.  By allowing bconsole to execute any
arbitrary command, it becomes impossible for the general system administrator
to restrict the backup operator to bconsole access only via sudo.

At a minimum, I'd hope to either see this feature implemented in such a way as
to drop privs to the original user after reading any config files, and also
require a config option to explicitly enable it.

WPI Senior Network Engineer   |  is simple, elegant, and wrong. - HL Mencken