Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Feature idea feeler - bconsole "include / grep"

2010-05-06 20:29:41
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Feature idea feeler - bconsole "include / grep"
From: Steve Polyack <korvus AT comcast DOT net>
To: Wolfgang Denk <wd AT denx DOT de>
Date: Thu, 06 May 2010 20:25:30 -0400
On 5/6/2010 6:46 PM, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Dear Steve,
>
> In message<4BE2F9A3.1050609 AT comcast DOT net>  you wrote:
>
>> Now that we have tab completion within bconsole, an additional option
>> has come to mind which you can see in various other CLI environments
>> (IOS, *NIX shells): the ability to pipe the output of commands through a
>> various set of filters.
>>
> Yes, but the Unix way of doing things is also not to reinvent the
> wheel again and again and again.
>

>> I realize that I can accomplish the same thing with SQL queries or
>> submit bconsole commands via a shell and filtering the output, but this
>> still seems like it would streamline bconsole usage.
>>
> Hm... why do you think a artifical extension of outputy handling in
> the bconsole code would be any better that a plain shell command like
>
> echo list files jobid=999 | bconsole | grep filenameImLookingFor
>
> ?
>
> It would only be duplicated code (at best), added complexity and added
> bugs.

These are certainly good points.  My thought is just that instead of
breaking out of bconsole to perform these tasks can be cumbersome.
Personally, I feel that it's something that I'd use a lot, simply to
prevent me from constantly breaking in and out of the interactive
bconsole session.  However, perhaps a solution would be to have bconsole
parse the pipe character and feed output into the command that follows
which could be any arbitrary *nix command (as opposed to
writing/including our own version of grep).

-Steve