Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula slow, possibly network

2010-05-11 08:53:07
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula slow, possibly network
From: Gavin McCullagh <gavin.mccullagh AT gcd DOT ie>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 13:26:29 +0100
On Tue, 11 May 2010, martinofmoscow wrote:

> Anyone have any experience with using compression on the client with
> Bacula?

Yeah, we use it almost everywhere.  The only exception is a video store
where the files aren't terribly compressible.  As you might imagine, it
uses considerable CPU cycles on the client but it also reduces the
bandwidth required.  Assuming the CPU can keep up, it may well relieve the
network bottleneck.

> Gavin McCullagh-2 wrote:
> >
> >> Interestingly, I just noticed that the Bacula dir was able to reel off a
> >> backup of the fd on localhost of about 750Mb in under 10 seconds,
> >
> > That's about 8MB per second which is a little slower than what you see
> > above.  The fd might not be able to write the data as quickly.
>
> Although I'm not sure I agree with this! More like 80Mb per second. More
> like what I'd expect.

Ah, sorry yes.  I was confusing myself between Mb (usually Megabit) and MB
(usually Megabyte).  I see what you mean now, the above is 75MB/sec to the
localhost.

Gavin