Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Bacula slow, possibly network

2010-05-11 06:50:45
Subject: [Bacula-users] Bacula slow, possibly network
From: martinofmoscow <martinofmoscow AT hotmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 03:47:05 -0700 (PDT)

Hi, we've come over from an Amanda backup system which had become a
nightmare to administer, and generally we're very happy with Bacula.

My concern thought is speed: Bacula is proving to be very slow, possibly in
relation - it seems - to its network utilisation. We're backing up over a
managed 100Mbps LAN, so not lightning-fast, but ought to be ok for 400Gb
overnight full weekly backup and typically 5Gb nightly differential.
Although the methodology of Bacula and Amanda are different, I'm fairly
certain Amanda was much, much faster at backing up over a network than could
deal with this quite well. I kicked off a [400Gb, full] bacup at 1am on
Saturday and it completed 11 hours later at mid-day.

Interestingly, I just noticed that the Bacula dir was able to reel off a
backup of the fd on localhost of about 750Mb in under 10 seconds, which is
why I'm looking towards the way Bacula uses the network as the possible
source of the problem. Conversely, a differential of 6Mb from a client on
the local LAN just took a few minutes to complete.

Another possibility is spooling. I've set up a spool directory on the
director/sd but have never seen it used. Relatedly, the tape drive during
backups is very stop/start, with a lot of pauses.

We're using an HP StorageWorks Ultrium 960 with LTO-3 tapes. The dir/sd is a
PowerEdge running Ubuntu 8.04 LTS and the supported Bacula 2.2.8. The
clients are running Ubuntu LTS and Redhat EL5 across a 100Mbps LAN. I am not
using TLS encryption for these servers, although I will be using it soon for
backing up two more servers across the internet.

Any thoughts would be gratefully received.

Martin.