Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Using removable SATA disks as media

2010-04-22 18:05:27
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Using removable SATA disks as media
From: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 18:02:57 -0400
On 04/22/10 17:47, Joseph Spenner wrote:
> --- On Wed, 4/14/10, Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net> wrote:
>

>> Joseph,
>>
>> That looks much better.  Now your volumes have the
>> correct nine days
>> retention time for your desired ten-day cycle, instead of
>> zero, so your
>> jobs will actually be kept around instead of being pruned
>> as soon as
>> they complete.  (That's why you were always seeing "No
>> prior job found".)
>>
>> I suggest you now purge and recycle all of your existing
>> volumes so that
>> you're starting over from a clean slate, let it run, and
>> see how it
>> goes.  Right now, you have only one appendable
>> volume.
>>

> I am still testing, using "run" at the bconsole, and selecting:
>      2: BackupCatalog
>
> I've run it a few times in one hour, and I see it appending the backup to the
> same volume.  Is this because the runs are happening too fast (same cycle)?
> The setting:
>
>   Volume Use Duration = 23h
>
> responsible?

Yes.  That setting says the volume is to remain writeable for 23 hours
from the time it is first written.  If you look back at the job results
you posted earlier, you'll see that each day, the three jobs you ran
were all written to the same volume, but the next day, when the next set
of jobs ran 24 hours after you first wrote to the volume, the use
duration was exceeded and Bacula had to recycle the next volume and use
it.  All of this is exactly what should be happening.

co.ordinate DOT org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.