Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] labeled tape not appendable ????

2010-04-20 16:43:41
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] labeled tape not appendable ????
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 16:41:43 -0400
On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 3:33 PM, lweinlan
<bacula-forum AT backupcentral DOT com> wrote:

> Hi all.
> Bacula backups were working fine. I decided to test and manually recycle a
> tape by entering the command "delete" volume (previously labeled 000001L4)
> from the pool "tape".
> I am trying to rewrite on this tape using bconsole command "run",  while
> trying to use the same volume name (000001L4). When I try this, the bacula
> "bat" GUI gives me a "cannot find any appendable volumes".
> Why can bacula not write on this tape if it is already labeled?

Because you deleted it. Do not do that use purge instead. When you
delete you remove the record of the tape from the database but when
bacula loads the volume it recognizes it is a bacula volume that it
does not know about. In this case the tape is not appendable until it
is scanned back into the database.

John