Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] too big differential backup

2010-04-16 07:40:29
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] too big differential backup
From: Zsolt Kozak <kozakzs AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 13:37:57 +0200
Hi Craig and Martin,

Thanks for your help. After running stat, I could realize that an old backup-script makes the problem. It runs every day in the morning at 2AM and it had the following in it: tar cP --atime-preserve path/to/files
The tar with this switch changes the atime every day and that caused Bacula backup so many files again and again.

Thanks again for your help! :)

cheers,
Zsolt

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 12:01 PM, Martin Simmons <martin AT lispworks DOT com> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I have a working Bacula-system, my only problem is that I get too big
> differential backups comparing to the full backup, although just a few files
> changed. (I had the same issue when I used incremental backups before but
> now I'm using only full and differential backups.)
>
> I just backed up a directory with almost 130 000 files and got a 6GB full
> backup. Then I run a differential backup and got 70 000 files backed up
> again using 2GB disk... The differential backup has just run a few minutes
> after the full finished and the files did NOT changed since the full backup
> finished. I checked the version browser in Bat and found duplicated files
> with having the same hash and after checking the files on the file-system, I
> noticed that they were not changed at all.... The same size, permissions and
> modification date.
>
> I am using the accurate option, having TLS and encryption set. And the
> director is running on an Ubuntu 9.10 but from Debian Lenny Backports.
> Version number is 5.0.1-1~bpo50+1.

Please post the output from the Full and Differential jobs and also the output
from running /usr/bin/stat with one of the files that you think shouldn't be
in the Differential backup.

__Martin