Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Bacula backup problem!

2010-04-14 07:41:09
Subject: [Bacula-users] Bacula backup problem!
From: tqz <bacula-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 07:38:36 -0400
Hello all

I have an ubuntu (8.04.3) server where I use bacula to make backups of the
files stored on the server. Ive been trying to find a solution (with no luck)
trying to succesfully implement the following:-

A Backup tape for each day of the week besides Thurs which is resused on a
weekly basis.

For the thursday tapes we have a backup tape corresponding to the week number
that the thursday falls so for the first thursday of the month it would be
ThursOne For example. These tapes are resued on a monthly basis. We then have a
monthly tape that is used on the last thursday of the month. These tapes will
be resused on a yearly basis.

Another requirement is just in case a tape is accidently not changed a backup
should still occur regardless of what tape is in the drive (so if its tuesday
and mondays tape is still in the tape drive it should rewrite the tape).

I did have this successfully set up where the tape was appeneded after each use
rather than being recycled after the nightly backup. But then after a few weeks
I would have to manually purge tapes when they became full (which isnt ideal -
as Im not always in the office so in my absence it may be that a backup may not
take place), so have been playing around and have now got the tapes to be
marked as used after a max of 2 jobs (so the backup of the files and the
catalog of the night). I also added this line 'Recycle Current Volume = yes' so
that it would hopefully recycle the volume in the drive.

However what I am finding is that the tape that should be recycled is not, but
in yesterday case the Mondays tape was recycled rather than the Tuesday
although Mondays was the last written so Im not even sure why it choose to
recycle this tape...

Any ideas as to how I would implement the above with the requirements...

Another idea is for a script to run before the job that would purge the current
tape and recycle it so that the backup occurs on this tape. Any idea how to
write such a script - as I would have no clue!!!

Thanks in advance for any help!!!