Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Idea/suggestion for dedicated disk-based sd

2010-04-06 17:18:40
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Idea/suggestion for dedicated disk-based sd
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 14:17:49 -0700

On that, I concur with Craig. This is ugly and quickly becomes unmanageable. Or
is there a way to tell bacula "use the next available storage device?" That
would make it manageable again.

> However, if multiple volumes are being written at a time, this merely
> exchanges volume interleaving for disk fragmentation.

It would also optimize backup times in situations where the bandwidth to the SD
is high and the bandwidth to the FD is low (for instance, backing up
cloud-based servers to local drives).

> Automatic volume deletion can be handled fairly simply using an admin
> job that runs a script to delete expired volumes; I've attached mine as
> an example.

I know, that's what I've been doing. But it is a really ugly hack: for such a
routine operation, one really shouldn't have to write a script - let alone a
script that has to completely bypass bacula and directly manipulate both the
database and bacula's on-disk volumes. To me that feels as if you told users of
Microsoft Word "to boldface a word, you have to use a hex editor and change the
.doc file".