Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Idea/suggestion for dedicated disk-based sd

2010-04-06 09:06:44
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Idea/suggestion for dedicated disk-based sd
From: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2010 09:04:36 -0400
On 04/06/10 05:51, Kevin Keane wrote:
> There are still a few things that don't work well with bacula.
> Concurrency is one - it should really be possible to open more than
> one file-based volume at the same time. Automatically deleting
> file-based volumes from disk is another (I think the new 5.x version
> addresses that).

It is possible right now to open more than one file-based volume at a
time.  You simply need to define multiple storage devices under the same
storage daemon; each device can have one volume open at a time.
However, if multiple volumes are being written at a time, this merely
exchanges volume interleaving for disk fragmentation.  The odds are good
the data will actually end up in the same places on disk; it will just
appear, from the point of view of scanning volumes, to be unfragmented,
because the disk system hides the fragmentation from you - exactly as it
is supposed to.  As previously mentioned, this can be overcome
essentially only by using a complete custom filesystem and disk driver
that treats disks like tapes.

Bacula-5 does not automatically delete expired disk volumes; it does
contain a feature to automatically truncate them to zero bytes.  Note
that this feature is dangerously broken in 5.0.0 (in which it was a new
feature), and should not be used in that version; if you want to use the
volume truncation feature, you must run 5.0.1 or later.

Automatic volume deletion can be handled fairly simply using an admin
job that runs a script to delete expired volumes; I've attached mine as
an example.

co.ordinate DOT org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.