Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Backup Strategy for Laptops

2010-04-02 18:00:23
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Backup Strategy for Laptops
From: Gavin McCullagh <gavin.mccullagh AT gcd DOT ie>
To: Avi Rozen <avi.rozen AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 22:58:26 +0100
Hi,

On Fri, 02 Apr 2010, Avi Rozen wrote:

> Gavin McCullagh wrote:
> > 1. Start bconsole
> > 2. Type "run<return>"
> > 3. Type "exit<return>"
> > 4. The messages are emailed to the user so they know when the job is
> >    finished.
>
> Assuming the laptop is running a Debian based Linux distro: can't this
> be automated by running a backup script from  /etc/networks/interfaces
> using the post-up directive, or by placing such a script under
> /etc/networks/post-up.d ?

If it were a debian-based distro, perhaps.  However, this laptop runs
Windows.  I daresay you could script something similar in Windows too
though.

The other disadvantage of that scheme is that I don't really want a backup
to trigger every time the user appears on the network (and a backup is
due).  I want them to be able to decide "I'm happy to plug in and leave the
laptop on the network for an hour now and I accept it will run a little
slowly during the time".

In our particular case, if backups ran automatically, we'd have failed
backups because the laptop was unplugged midway through.  We'd also have
complaints that the laptop was running slow at times.

Of course, differently people will have different requirements here.

Gavin