Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Backup Strategy for Laptops

2010-04-02 15:31:01
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Backup Strategy for Laptops
From: Gavin McCullagh <gavin.mccullagh AT gcd DOT ie>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 20:28:48 +0100
Hi,

On Fri, 02 Apr 2010, Avarca, Anthony wrote:

> I'm using bacula to backup desktop and laptop clients. The desktops work
> well with a schedule, but laptops are another story. Does anyone have a
> strategy to backup laptops? Is it possible to have the user trigger a
> backup?

It's not the prettiest thing in the world, but we get the user to trigger a
backup using bconsole.  Firstly, we allow console connections from the
client computer to the director, strictly only for the resources which are
relevant to that client.  When the user decides to run a backup,

1. Start bconsole
2. Type "run<return>"
3. Type "exit<return>"
4. The messages are emailed to the user so they know when the job is
   finished.

the default backup triggered in our case is always incremental and
accurate.  We then run virtual full backups on a schedule.

This scheme has solved a long-term problem for us.  It's a laptop for which
a full backup takes over 5 hours.  The user simply can't wait that long.
The incremental by contrast takes about 1 hour, which is workable and he
can work on it during the backup, albeit a bit slow.

Gavin