Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Encryption slow down

2010-03-31 10:41:38
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Encryption slow down
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 10:39:29 -0400
On 3/30/2010 5:44 PM, William Taylor wrote:
> Before enabling encryption we were getting 118 - 120 MBs throughput to our
> LTO-4 tape drive.
> With encryption turned on we get 38-39MBs throughput. bacula process is at 98
> - 100 % cpu while running.
> I tried cutting the key size down to 472bits from 2048bits but it didn't make
> a difference.
> The machine is a 2.3 Ghz quad core xeon w/ 12GB of ram.
> Everything is ran on one machine. (dir,fd,etc..)
>
> Any ideas whats up or how I can improve speed of backups w/ encryption
> enabled?
>
> Thanks,
>    William

Without encryption hardware, it likely is a high CPU load. I don't
believe the encryption itself is multi-threaded. By 98-100% cpu, do you
mean for one core or all 4?

Are you using spooling? Because the delay caused by encryption could
cause the tape drive to be outrunning the data stream. If it has to
start and stop repeatedly it would drastically affect throughput, and
spooling could be a huge improvement.