Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Marking volumes as 'error' because they're not in autochanger.

2010-03-31 10:25:28
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Marking volumes as 'error' because they're not in autochanger.
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 10:22:25 -0400
On 3/30/2010 5:42 PM, Tom Eastman wrote:
> Hey Guys,
>
> I'm using bacula 2.4.4-1 (from Debian Lenny).
>
> I'm using a removeable hard-drive based storage using the 'vchanger' C++
> program to simulate an autochanger.  Each of our hard drives therefore
> simulates a 'cartridge' with 10 'volumes'.
>
> What I want to be able to do is change the drives occasionally issue the
> 'update slots' command, and then have bacula use the next available
> volume on the loaded drive to continue making backups.
>
> Unfortunately, what *actually* happens is that it asks for the next
> volume on the no-longer-present drive, and when it isn't found, marks it
> as error, and continues with the next one, until every single volume
> that was on the previously-used drive is marked as error.
>
> This *seems* to fly in the face of Step 1 of the 'volume selection
> algorithm' on
> http://www.bacula.org/2.4.x-manuals/en/main/Automatic_Volume_Recycling.html
>
> "If the request is for an Autochanger device, look only for Volumes in
> the Autochanger (i.e. with InChanger set and that have the correct
> Storage device)."
>
> Can anyone give me some guidance as to how to troubleshoot this?  I'm
> happy to provide whatever information you ask for.  It's very
> frustrating, and once this last problem is fixed, I'll finally have a
> backup system that I feel I can trust, which always feels nice!
>
> Thanks!
>
>       Tom

For one thing, newer versions of Bacula have improved volume selection
over 2.4.4, so you might consider upgrading.

To handle the problem of Bacula selecting a volume on the no longer
present drive, you can update the status of the last volume written in
each pool when switching drives. The last volume written for each pool
(on the drive being removed) should be changed from status "Append" to
status "Used". This will prevent Bacula from attempting to select them
again.