Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Pruning before failed jobs - bug?

2010-03-30 15:37:23
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Pruning before failed jobs - bug?
From: mark.bergman AT uphs.upenn DOT edu
To: "Mike Holden" <bacula AT mikeholden DOT org>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 15:16:05 -0400

In the message dated: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 11:51:31,
The pithy ruminations from "Mike Holden" on
<[Bacula-users] Pruning before failed jobs - bug?> were:

=> At the moment, one of my client machines is switched off, deliberately.
=>
=> Bacula tries to back it up overnight, but fails because it cannot connect to
the client.
=>
=> Before doing this, it prunes and purges successfully, according to the
retention rules.
=>
=> My thought is that if this machine is left off for an extended periopd of
time, I could
=> end up in a situation where all the backups are removed. I understand there
is a new
=> option to truncate backup files on prune/purge as well, so there is even the
potential
=> for the backup to be deleted, as well as the catalog.
=>
=> So my question is this - should backups be pruned, purged and truncated
automatically if
=> the backup fails?

In my opinion, the current stance incorrectly prioritizes obeying the
retention schedule above preserving data.

While the retention schedule should be chosen so that this isn't a problem, I
think that it's more important to keep data, particularly if it's the sole
backup of a client.

On 30 Nov., I submitted a feature request (minimum retention count) to
address this issue:
        http://www.mail-archive.com/bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT
net/msg38513.html

For some reason, that request is not listed in the "Projects" file:

http://bacula.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=bacula/bacula;a=blob;f=bacula/projects;hb=HEAD

Mark

=> --
=> Mike Holden
=>
=> http://www.by-ang.com - the place to shop
=> for all manner of hand crafted items,
=> including Jewellery, Greetings Cards and Gifts
=>
=>

personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If the reader of
this message is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for
delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have
received this document in error and that any review, dissemination,
distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail,
and delete the original message.