Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Pruning before failed jobs - bug?

2010-03-30 08:04:48
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Pruning before failed jobs - bug?
From: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 08:00:57 -0400
On 03/30/10 06:51, Mike Holden wrote:
> At the moment, one of my client machines is switched off, deliberately.
>
> Bacula tries to back it up overnight, but fails because it cannot connect to
> the client.
>
> Before doing this, it prunes and purges successfully, according to the
> retention rules.
>
> My thought is that if this machine is left off for an extended periopd of
> time, I could
> end up in a situation where all the backups are removed. I understand there
> is a new
> option to truncate backup files on prune/purge as well, so there is even the
> potential
> for the backup to be deleted, as well as the catalog.
>
> So my question is this - should backups be pruned, purged and truncated
> automatically if
> the backup fails?

I would be inclined to assume that unless your retention periods are
entirely unreasonably short, any machine that is offline long enough for
all of its backups to be pruned/ purged and truncated, without anyone
bothering to do anything about it being offline, probably either isn't
important or isn't ever coming back online - or both.

co.ordinate DOT org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.