Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Exchange plugin - backup after restore

2010-03-19 17:27:43
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Exchange plugin - backup after restore
From: "James Harper" <james.harper AT bendigoit.com DOT au>
To: "Graham Keeling" <graham AT equiinet DOT com>, <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 08:24:24 +1100
> The warning is this...
> Error: HrESEBackupSetup failed with error 0xc8000230 - Exchange
reports that
> no previous full backup has been done.
>
> But I wanted to continue doing incremental backups.

Sorry, but you can't. Exchange is fairly picky about backups and will
get upset if it suspects things aren't quite right.

Exchange differential and incremental backups are done by backing up
transaction log files only and not the database. For this to work,
Exchange has to be sure that the last full backup that you did + all the
log files you have backed up will actually give you a working database,
and in your case it won't so Exchange won't let you (not much point
forcing it if it won't work right?). The Exchange literature clearly
states that once you do any sort of restore, repair, hotfix, or service
pack that you should do a full backup asap.

If it's any comfort (and it probably isn't :), Bacula isn't the only
backup tool that has given me grief with Exchange - I've recently spent
lots of time trying to persuade Backup Exec to play nicely. What it was
doing in the above situation is hang the entire Exchange database until
a bunch of services are restarted. Not sure if that problem is fixed
either.

At some point I might look at having the plugin automatically upgrade
the backup level to Full if it gets such an error, but it could be a bit
tricky. It also probably shouldn't be the default action else it might
upset other users...

James