Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Some beginner Bacula questions (2nd try)

2010-03-09 11:47:32
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Some beginner Bacula questions (2nd try)
From: C M Reinehr <cmr AT amsent DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 10:16:22 -0600
Stuart,

I don't have the experience with or knowledge of Bacula that many others on
the list have but I think I can answer your questions:

On Tue 09 March 2010 09:52:00 am Stuart McGraw wrote:
> I asked this last week but no responses...
>
> Anyone?
>
> I am new at Bacula and am trying to work out a ]
> reasonable scheme for backing up my home network.
> I had some questions I hope someone can answer...
>
> 1) Sometimes my Bacula server machine is down at
>    the scheduled backup time.  No problem, I just
>    kick of the backup jobs manually the next morning.
>    Is there some way to start all the jobs as though
>    the time was last night?  Right now I start each
>    of the five client jobs, and the catalog job
>    individually.  (I was a little surprised there
>    is not something like a JobSet resource for
>    aggregating several jobs into one schedulable
>    unit.)

        The short answer is no. Short of resetting the time on your server
there is
no way of making Bacula think it was last night. Also, there is no way of
grouping jobs. The simplest solution just is to make sure that your Bacula
server is up and running at the necessary times. One of the design features
of Bacula is that, once configured, it requires very little user
interaction -- just change the tapes.

> 2) I write each job to a separate (file) backup volume
>    (to be written to DVD later).  Is there any point
>    to writing .bsr files?  They are for locating a
>    particular job within a volume that contains multiple
>    jobs, yes?

        I've always been a little unclear about the benefits of the .bsr files
myself
but mine is a small business so I can't speak for those with much larger,
enterprise systems. They're small and are no trouble to back up, so I keep
them against the possibility that I might really need them one day.

> 3) Is there any supported way to change the labels of
>    existing (file) volumes?  I have changed the label
>    format several times and don't want to wait until
>    some of the old volumes expire after a year to get
>    rid of the volumes with "weird" names.

        Again, the short answer is no. The only way to relable a volumn is to
purge
the contents. Any data in/on the volumn is lost.

> Thanks for any information/advice.

        Hope this helps.

cmr

Debian 'Etch' - Registered Linux User #241964
--------
"More laws, less justice." -- Marcus Tullius Ciceroca, 42 BC