Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Some beginner Bacula questions (2nd try)

2010-03-09 21:16:37
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Some beginner Bacula questions (2nd try)
From: Stuart McGraw <smcg4191 AT frii DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2010 19:03:31 -0700
On 03/09/2010 12:28 PM, John Drescher wrote:

>>> They are most useful for restoring a corrupt catalog.
>>>
>>> John
>> Thanks! I knew there had to be a good reason and that I just hadn't yet
>> discovered it. :-)
>>

> Also useful in disaster recovery when you do not have the database up
> and running.

Maybe I should have explained more...

Each of my backup jobs goes to a separate file named
JobName-JobId-Level.  These are copied to DVD.  Only
"user" files are backed up -- system files will be
restored by re-installing the OS and apps.  I do a full
backup every two months with daily incrementals in between.

My bare-metal recovery plan is:
1. Install a Linux machine from distribution media.
2. Install Bacula (a copy of the source and conf files
 is on the backup DVDs).
3. Configure Postgresql, create bacula db.
4. Identify the volume with the latest catalog backup (which
 is easy to do given my volume naming scheme), extract the
 catalog db backup (with bextract) and restore to the db.
5. I now should be able to do a full restore of the user
 files, yes?

So why do I need the bsr files?  The only thing I will be
restoring without a catalog is the catalog itself and it
is in a single volume file.

This plan is admittedly time consuming but I can afford a
couple days downtime (and I have found that I reinstall
Linux (Fedora) pretty frequently anyway due to new
versions, and same with Windows which suffers from bit-
rot).

The main problem I have with it is the requirement for
a Linux machine in order to restore any of the Windows
clients -- I would be much happier with Bacula if I could
restore a Windows client with only a Windows machine
available.

Does this seem like a workable plan?  (I have not tested
it yet but will as soon as I can free up a spare disk and
some time.)