Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Problems with automatic labeling

2010-03-03 06:46:22
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Problems with automatic labeling
From: Thomas Mueller <thomas AT chaschperli DOT ch>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 11:43:05 +0000 (UTC)
>>> be sure to set Retention times on the pool (e.g. for your schedule
>>> maybe
> 18 days) and and a use duration (maybe 1 day as you change it on a daily
> basis).
>
> I know that my Retention times is wrong right now, but I'm just doing
> some test so I purge volumes manually. But Thanks for the use duration,
> I will set it up.
>
> Well, again, assuming that the volume is purged from the catalog, the
> tape is rewind and "woef-ed".. I still don't unterstand why bacula
> doesn't want to relabel the volume.

if you purge a tape , the tape label is still in the database. you would
need to delete it.

> I mean, the label format worked fine for the first backup but apparently
> there is no way to relabel the tape.
>
> Will it really fix the problem if I change the label format ?

i've never used your method to write "woef" with a pre-script. IMHO
bacula is not designed to work this way (what doesn't mean that you could
not do it this way with scripts and try and error).

The tape cycle is the following:

label the tape -> write to it (append) -> full or used (when use duration
is over) -> prune it (retention time is over, purged) -> reuse the tape
(recycle)

you only label it once. the label remains also with recycling. so you
write the bacula label on the tape and you will know which tape to insert
if you need to restore something.

- Thomas