Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Beginner Question

2010-03-01 17:48:59
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Beginner Question
From: Doug Forster <dforster AT part DOT net>
To: "Roderick A. Anderson" <raanders AT cyber-office DOT net>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2010 15:34:04 -0700
Rod,

A method you could do to accomplish this task is to do the following:
1. Setup Bacula on the server on the lan.
2. Run backups to local disk volumes.
3. On the final backup run a run after script/command to copy all
volumes of data to a remote site.
Note: I believe there is something about spooling data on local disk
before writing to the storage device. You may not even need to have a
script that pushes this data.

Something you want to keep in mind is that you want to have your backup
server in the location where you have a many to one relationship.
The Bacula is split into 3 items which have various communication
needs.

Bacula Director - This manages and schedules clients / also initiates
jobs and handles logging.
Bacula Storage Daemon - This is your storage device. Clients connect
here to push data under the direction given by the Director.
Bacula File Daemon - This runs on your clients and simply waits for
commands from the Director to include scripts to run.
Bconsole / Bacula Administration Tool (BAT) - tools to restore and
monitor backups as they run.

It is my current understanding of bacula that the following ports need
to be open.

Backup Server Director -> Bacula Data Base
Backup Server Director -> Client File Daemon 9102
Clients File Daemon -> Backup Storage 9103
Backup Server Bconsole/BAT -> Backup Director 9101

Doug Forster