Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] concurrent jobs on the same storage

2010-02-24 09:14:43
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] concurrent jobs on the same storage
From: Silver Salonen <silver AT ultrasoft DOT ee>
To: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 15:54:17 +0200
On Wednesday 24 February 2010 15:34:27 John Drescher wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 8:07 AM, Silver Salonen <silver AT ultrasoft DOT ee>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> I ran into this problem when I first upgraded to 3.0.3.  It turned out
> >> to be a configuration issue.  Make sure you have the desired level of
> >> concurrency enabled in ALL applicable resources (i.e, you need "Maximum
> >> Concurrent Jobs = 20" set for the SD both in your bacula-sd.conf file
> >> AND in your bacula-dir.conf file).  If you have different values set in
> >> different places, the *lowest* will end up being used.
> >
> > Do I get it right, that you have multiple jobs using the same device
> > concurrently?
> >

> I have had this work for over 5 years with bacula. Jobs need to go to
> the same volume however because a storage device can only load a
> single volume. I use tape mostly so I do not see this as a big issue.
> I have a multi-drive autochanger that takes care of using different
> volumes concurrently.

OK. I have never used tapes with Bacula. But I'd expect a file-type device to
be able to load more than 1 volume at a time. It's quite trivial, isn't it?

Anyway, the "1 volume at a time"-limit has always been "one job at a time" in
my head, because I put every job into separate volume/file (which makes the
most sense in disk-based backups, to my mind). And when 5.0 was released with
possibility to change limits of concurrent jobs for a device, I thought:
"That's what I've been waiting for!". Thus the confusion. Sorry :)

--
Silver