Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Multi Volume Archives

2009-12-14 15:42:50
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Multi Volume Archives
From: Bob Hetzel <beh AT case DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 15:39:18 -0500
1) Bacula is indeed able to seek within a tape.  If you're having trouble
with this functionality you need to look at the storage daemon options at

http://www.bacula.org/3.0.x-manuals/en/install/install/Storage_Daemon_Configuratio.html#SECTION00830000000000000000

Fast Forward Space File
Forward Space Record
Maximum File Size

The first two should probably be left at their default values but the
Maximum File Size value may need to be increased if you're using LTO-4
hardware.

2) If you pick a file that's on one of the other 9 tapes in your example it
should be fine.  The big problem will be if you need files on that bad
tape.  In that case you won't be able to get it.  So here's an example...
Day one, full backup winds up using 9 full tapes and part of a 10th tape.
Day two, that 10th tape is appended to, but then breaks.  In this case,
you'll probably be able to restore anything except the files on that last
tape.  I believe bacula restores the files in the order they were written,
so any kind of restore you do that invovles tape 9 and tape 10 will get all
the tape 9 stuff just fine but then you'll need to cancel it because you
won't be able to give it tape 10.  However, the tape 9 files will already
be written and canceling the restore does not delete them.

    Bob