Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Automated Test Suite

2009-11-27 12:43:08
Subject: [Bacula-users] Automated Test Suite
From: <ext-daniel.hawker AT nokia DOT com>
To: <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 18:39:04 +0100
Hi All,

I used to use Bacula years ago and am now back at a project that uses it. Is
nice to be back :)

We use Bacula to backup a series of MySQL databases to disk (with eventual
offline storage elsewhere). Part of the requirement is to offer some automated
testing of the data (ie backup live data, restore to alternative system,
re-insert data into a separate integration database, run some known commands,
etc).

All of this is pretty simple stuff, however was thinking whether I could
integrate this somewhat, by using a separate Verify Job followed by a *Run
after Job* script. This script could then use Python and the Bacula-Python
hooks to run a restore job and then the rest of the required tests.

However, have not used the Bacula-Python side of things before and after
hunting about, the only docs I have found are the *Python Scripting* chapter in
the concepts and dev-manual. Is this the only source of docs for the
Bacula-Python API???

Main reason for this is, although am happy hacking about, and will have a look
at the source, am just checking this is all feasible at the present time,
before I start spending/wasting time on the effort.

Oh and of course, if someone has attempted this all before and are willing to
give some hints/tips/caveats, much appreciated :)

Thanks

Dan

--
Dan Hawker