Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Retention on SD File

2009-11-25 10:49:43
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Retention on SD File
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: david.dumortier AT linagora DOT com, bacula-users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 10:39:19 -0500
On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 10:08 AM, David Dumortier
<david.dumortier AT linagora DOT com> wrote:

> John Drescher a écrit :
>> On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 4:07 AM, David Dumortier
>> <david.dumortier AT linagora DOT com> wrote:
>>> Hi all,

>>> So I have this on my bacula-dir.conf
>>> Pool {
>>>  Name = Default
>>>  Pool Type = Backup
>>>  Recycle = yes                       # Bacula can automatically recycle
>>> Volumes
>>>  AutoPrune = yes                     # Prune expired volumes
>>>  Volume Retention = 7 days           # one week
>>>  Maximum Volumes = 30
>>>  Maximum Volume Bytes = 25GB
>>>  Volume Use Duration = 7 days
>>> }
>>>
>>> But I don't have any rotation on my SD-file.
>>>
>>> Any help would be appreciated.
>>> --
>>> David Dumortier
>>>

>> Changes to some of these parameters after the fact only apply to new
>> volumes. To fix this use
>>
>> update
>>
>> then select "Pool from resource"
>>
>> Then select your pool.
>
> Ok I have
> MaxVolBytes 25,000,000,000
> MaxVols 30
>
>> Also remember that Retention does not start until the volume is marked
>> Full or Used.
>>
>> Use the list media command to check that.
>
> I have :
> 4 VolStatus Append VolBytes 296,395,270,741
> 5 VolStatus Append VolBytes 0
>
> But I search an automatic method to mark my Vol 4 Full.
> Perhaps I must tag the first time ?

No, this is not required however changing the pool resource in
bacula-dir.conf file does not (totally?) affect currently labeled
volumes. It is more of a plan for new volumes. That is why I wanted
you to update from pool resource. I put the (totally?) part in there
because I am not sure about the max vol size param. I do know
retention periods are not changed on currently labled volumes if you
reduce the retention time in the pool resource.

Did you execute the update pool from resource command that I suggested?

You can mark volume 4 full or used by the update volume status command
to force the retention period to begin.

> Second question, have I to create the 30 volumes ?

No.

John