Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Feature Request: Allow schedule to override Next Pool.

2009-11-18 04:09:38
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Feature Request: Allow schedule to override Next Pool.
From: Jim Barber <jim.barber AT ddihealth DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 17:06:02 +0800
Thanks Arno.

Is this better?
If so I'll clean out all other text except the feature request and submit it to
bacula-devel

--------------------------

Item ?: Allow Schedule Resource to override 'Next Pool'

Date:   18 November 2009

Origin: Jim Barber. jim.barber AT ddihealth DOT com

What:   Allow the Schedule resource to define a NextPool= statement
        to override the NextPool statement of the pool defined in the job.

Why:    I have an incremental pool that each week gets consolidated into a
        full pool via a VirtualFull job. The 'Next Pool' directive of the
        incremental pool defines the location of the full pool.

        The following week, the next VirtualFull backup will run. It will
        read the previous full backups and incremental backups since then,
        to create new full backups. It is important that the VirtualFull
        backup does not try to write to the same tape that the previous
        weeks full backup wrote to and left in Append status. Otherwise you
        could end up with the one tape trying to be read and written and
        dead-lock.

        At the moment I have a hack to get around this. An Admin job calls
        an external command that runs a SQL update to find any tapes in the
        full pool with an APPEND status and change it to USED. This runs
        after the full backups have been done.

        Instead I'd like to create two full pools. One for even weeks and
        one for odd weeks of the year. That way, even week virtual full
        backups could consolidate odd week virtual full backups with the
        latest incremental backups. And the odd week virtual full backups
        could consolidate the even week full backups with the latest
        incremental backups.

        The trouble is that the Incremental pool can only define one Next
        Pool. I can't have it toggle the Next Pool directive from odd to
        even, week to week. Unless I could override it from the schedule.

        Doing that would mean I could ditch my SQL hack to manipulate the
        tape status. It will also be less wasteful of tapes, since I won't
        have partially filled USED tapes throughout my library.

        There are possibly many uses for such an override that I haven't
        thought about.

Regards,

Jim Barber
DDI Health