Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Feature Request: Allow schedule to override Next Pool.

2009-11-18 01:36:07
Subject: [Bacula-users] Feature Request: Allow schedule to override Next Pool.
From: Jim Barber <jim.barber AT ddihealth DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 14:32:26 +0800
Hi.

When defining backup strategies, I've wanted to be able to define the 'Next
Pool' in the Schedule to override the value defined against a pool.

An example of one usage of such a feature follows:

I have an incremental pool that each week gets consolidated into a full pool
via a VirtualFull job.
The 'Next Pool' directive of the incremental pool defines the location of the
full pool.

The following week, the next VirtualFull backup will run.
It will read the previous full backups and incremental backups since then, to
create new full backups.
It is important that the VirtualFull backup does not try to write to the same
tape that the previous weeks full backup wrote to and left in Append status.
Otherwise you could end up with the one tape trying to be read and written and
dead-lock.

At the moment I have a hack to get around this.
An admin job calls an external command that runs a SQL update to find any tapes
in the full pool with an APPEND status and change it to USED.
This runs after the full backups have been done.

Instead I'd like to create two full pools.
One for even weeks and one for odd weeks of the year.
That way, even week virtual full backups could consolidate odd week virtual
full backups with the latest incremental backups.
And the odd week virtual full backups could consolidate the even week full
backups with the latest incremental backups.

The trouble is that the Incremental pool can only define one Next Pool.
I can't have it toggle the Next Pool directive from odd to even, week to week.
Unless I could override it from the schedule.

Doing that would mean I could ditch my SQL hack to manipulate the tape status.
It will also be less wasteful of tapes, since I won't have partially filled
USED tapes throughout my library.

Regards,

--
Jim Barber