Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] after building bat, location of binary varies

2009-11-17 06:59:34
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] after building bat, location of binary varies
From: Martin Simmons <martin AT lispworks DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 11:54:31 GMT

> >> Folks,
> >>
> >> I am finding that the location of the executable binary varies from one
> >> system to another.  I am trying to find out why.  The answer will help
> >> to improve the build and install process.
> >>
> >> Sometimes the binary is at:
> >>
> >>    src/qt-console/bat
> >>
> >> If not there, it is at:
> >>
> >>    src/qt-console/.libs/bat
> >>
> >> Within a given system, the location is always consistent.  It is one of
> >> the above.  Why the location varies, I do not know.
> >
> > The .libs directory is the default location when building with libtool (for
> > Bacula shared libraries).
>
> This is interesting.  Please, can you elaborate?

The libtool utility is a wrapper around compiling/linking/install to deal with
portability for shared library naming.

In the build tree, it puts all shared libraries and executables into
subdirectories which are called .libs by default.  It also creates a shell
script for each executable, which sets LD_LIBRARY_PATH appropriately to make
it work in the build tree.

Note that this is only in the build tree.  During "make install", it installs
the real libraries and binaries.

My guess is that that some are not being linked with shared libraries for some
reason, so Bacula is not using libtool and the real executable is built in
src/qt-console/bat.

It isn't clear to me why the location of the binaries matters, unless the
Makefile is broken.

__Martin