Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Bacula features

2009-10-30 02:28:41
Subject: [Bacula-users] Bacula features
From: "Leslie Rhorer" <lrhorer AT satx.rr DOT com>
To: <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 01:24:15 -0500
Hello All,

        I am looking for a backup solution which has the following features:

1. Back up to removable hard drives
2. Span multiple target drives
3. Maintain a virtual fileysystem so all snapshots look like a single
backup volume to the user.
4. Maintain an easily monitored index so the user can see which drive
will be needed for a particular backup or restore operation.
5. Be able to easily rebuild the index and virtual file system from the
target drives (preferably just one drive - probably the last one) if the
database is lost on the source system.

        Features #1 and #2 are especially important.  Many pieces of backup
software talk about being able to back up to tape, CD/DVD-R, or even floppy
disks.  Backing up to a group of removable hard drives is a little different
kettle of fish, though, because hard drives are not really expected to be
used in this fashion.  Teh application has to be able to understand that
even though it is a hard drive, it can be removed and will prompt theuser to
do so.  It also must be able to either write to the raw drive target, or
else umount the drive and mount the new drive when it is inserted into the
drive enclosure.  I cannot afford a large tape drive, and I do have a backup
server with an array slightly larger than the main array, but there are a
number of hazards that this strategy does not cover.  Doing incremental
backups to a series of 2TB (3TB when they come out) hard drives is a perfect
alternative - if I can find the software to handle it.  Is Bacula that
software?