Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Copying backup "On the fly"

2009-10-15 15:28:44
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Copying backup "On the fly"
From: Sébastien VINOT <sebastien.vinot AT logisphere DOT fr>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 21:23:33 +0200

Le 15 oct. 09 à 17:00, Brian Debelius a écrit :

You can throttle rsync with --bwlimit, unless you would need to use the
entire bandwidth to finish in your time window.

Mike Eggleston wrote:
On Thu, 15 Oct 2009, John Drescher might have said:

I'm using bacula for servers but the problem is that both servers and where
bacula runs are on the same room. I'd like to know how to implement a
duplication of the data bacula stores in order to put a copy on another
location (via internet). Of course it is not possible to copy simply the
backup file because it is too big.

One suggestion. Make the volumes smaller. 1 to 10GB should be fine.
Then use rsync (possibly run from a cron job) to send the volumes
offsite.

John

My bacula setup is pulling the remote files to on disk volumes that
are 5GB each. I have a final job that looks for what disk volumes have
changed from the previous backup and writes those volumes to tape.

I could use rsync(1) to copy the 5GB volumes to another server and did
consider copying those disk volumes over the net to a remote location. I
decided against this approach as the rsync(1) would consume my entire
bandwidth. Not a bad solution for incrementals, but not good for fulls.

Mike

I'm thinking of a solution (maybe not so "simple"):
 - Before a job starts, a small script checks if the file exists and if it is a socket (assuming it is possible to know the file name at this time). If it is a real file (which means it is a new file, the script can replace the file by a socket
 - The FD sends data into a socket and a small script listens on the socket. For all data, it writes it at the end of the "real file" and can do the copy (or prepare it for a copy after all).

Is it a possible solution ?

Sebastien