Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Copying backup "On the fly"

2009-10-15 10:11:48
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Copying backup "On the fly"
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: Marek.M.Stopka AT tieto DOT com, bacula-users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 10:07:43 -0400
> This is not a solution at all, because Bacula every time you create new
> backup will create new virtual tapes, and since rsync "deduplicate" only
> files, not entire amount of data that is going to be transfared, this do not
> solve anything for us. Acctually I am not even sure if we would use LVM on
> botom and rsync those snapshots of a LVM volumes, I guess rsync do not
> compare hashes of all blocks of transfered but only first block hash with a
> first block, second with a second,... So again, rsync would not be help even
> in this case.

I am confused how it does not solve the problem. I am talking about
using rsync to mirror the volume files that bacula uses to store all
of your backups. If you limit the size of these to a few GB, rsync
will only be sending the volumes that have changed but you will still
have a complete second copy of the bacula volumes offsite.

John