Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Copying backup "On the fly"

2009-10-15 16:03:05
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Copying backup "On the fly"
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 21:57:45 +0200
Hi,

15.10.2009 21:23, Sébastien VINOT wrote:
> I'm thinking of a solution (maybe not so "simple"):
>  - Before a job starts, a small script checks if the file exists and if
> it is a socket (assuming it is possible to know the file name at this
> time). If it is a real file (which means it is a new file, the script
> can replace the file by a socket
>  - The FD sends data into a socket and a small script listens on the
> socket. For all data, it writes it at the end of the "real file" and can
> do the copy (or prepare it for a copy after all).
>
> Is it a possible solution ?

Yup. Only you can simplify it a lot - have a look at the SD device
resource in the manual, especially the Archive Device and Device Type
sections... and carefully read the notes regarding the FIFO type.

That should enable you to transparently capture the data flow, and
store it both locally and pass it to a remote location. Still no
deduplication, though... and managing volume handling and restores
will be no fun at all.

Arno

> Sebastien

> http://p.sf.net/sfu/devconference