Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Win64 fd: Does not read conf file

2009-10-13 14:58:26
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Win64 fd: Does not read conf file
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: "'bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net'" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 20:50:39 +0200
Hi,

13.10.2009 16:47, Sean M Clark wrote:
> George Shaw wrote:
>> As far as I can determine, the Win64 bacula-fd service does not actually
>> read the provided conf file. It complains about being unable to read a
>> “monitor_name@” file on line 35. This is indeed how the default conf
>> file comes after setup (as listed in bacula-fd.conf.in in the source
>> tree). But then I commented out all those lines defining a local
>> director for the tray, as there is none in Win64. And still the error
>> persists when trying this in –t mode from cmd. Just for fun, I rebooted
>> the server to no avail. There is no other .conf file on the entire server.
>>
>> So the app appears to be using some internal default, and not actually
>> reading the file.
>>
>> To prove this assertion, I added the line “bonk” at the top of the conf
>> file. No change in the error output.

Just for the records - the cause for this seems to be a line
containing an unquoted @-caharcter, which is Bacula's way of
specifying an include file.

>> A win32 fd-only setup works fine.
>>
>> Maybe I’m missing something obvious.
>
> I may have missed someone replying to this, but for some reason this
> message just appeared in my inbox today.
>
> We just dealt with this problem here, which was incredibly annoying.
> We had just "upgraded" a bunch of older 32-bit XP machines to new
> Vista64 systems and were trying to get the 64-bit bacula-fd running on
> them.  Bacula-fd refused to start, giving only a typically useless
> Microsoft Windows "Like, Dude, something went wrong" error ("Error 1067:
> The process terminated unexpectedly").  No log files that I could find
> to indicate WHY "the process terminated unexpectedly".
>
> Skipping ahead past all the pointless chasing of possible Windows
> problems ("corrupt" drivers?  Permissions problems?  Need to manually
> wipe "bacula" entries from the registry and uninstall/reinstall?)that we
> thought MIGHT be causing the problem it turned out to be what you just
> ran into:
>
> The monitor function has apparently not been ported to 64-bit Windows
> yet.  Not a big deal...BUT THE INSTALLER CREATES AN INVALID ENTRY FOR IT
> IN BACULA-FD.CONF.  Turns out THIS is what was causing bacula-fd.exe to
> "terminate unexpectedly".

Bug report filed? :-)

> Just delete the entire section containing the bogus authentication
> information for the monitor process and try again - bacula-fd should
> start and run just fine (though the taskbar-based status widget won't
> work, backups happen fine and status can be checked from the bacula
> director console as normal.)

Yup, the taskbar-icon no longer works on Vista, Server 2k3, and up.
That's a security feature MS included.

(Many people think that is nonsense, but this time, I agree with
Microsoft - there were too many services showing a task bar icon that
allowed access to the help, for example. The help window in turn
allowed access to a file selector, and *that* gives you a whole
explorer, essentially - running with system privileges, availale to
every user...)

> Just figured I'd reply so next time somebody Googles for "bacula-fd
> vista 64-bit error 1067" there'll be something relevant to find...
>
> SUMMARY:
> Bacula 3.0.2 installer for Windows 64-bit has a bug:  it creates an
> invalid section in the config file that it generates during the install.
>
> Bacula-fd.exe 3.0.2 for Windows 64-bit has a missing feature: generation
> of an error message that explains failures should occur (a popup saying
> "invalid entry in config file near '@monitor_name@'" or something of the
> sort would have saved us a lot of time...)

For the same reason the task bar icon is gone, a service can't simply
create a popup window... there are ways to show privileged processes'
messages on a user desktop, but they probably need to be implemented
in a special way... I don't know, I'm not a developer.

> Once the configuration file problem is corrected, bacula-fd.exe 3.0.2
> for Windows 64-bit appears to work perfectly so far.

I agree :-)

Arno

Arno Lehmann
IT-Service Lehmann