Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Fragmentation of restored file

2009-10-13 09:40:42
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Fragmentation of restored file
From: justAck <andy78 AT i DOT ua>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 05:27:57 -0700 (PDT)
Arno,

Arno Lehmann wrote:

>> a) result file will be most likely not fragmented on disk at all
>
> This is most likely in the situation you outline.
>
> The most common reasons for slow restores, in my experience, are

Thanks for quick and useful help.
I meant file access _after_ it is restored, not restore speed.

I need to do some more tests, but it looks that just
cp /restored/file > /dev/null
is performed 20% slower speed than copying of other files.

Doesn't bacula have some "image backup" format, when raw filesystem is
copied and then restored back? (This is only situation I can imagine which
keeps file fragmentation).

Maybe some cache is involved, need to test deeper, just wanted feedback
about possible scenarios.
Thanks again!