Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Using multiple drives

2009-10-06 18:09:37
Subject: [Bacula-users] Using multiple drives
From: tpcshadow <bacula-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2009 18:02:01 -0400
I have an autochanger with multiple tape drives, and want Bacula to better use
all the drives. I believe I have all of the concurrency settings correct,
because I can run two jobs to two different pools at the same time and one will
run to drive 0 and one to drive 1. So far, so good.

If I run one job (say job A to pool A), the tape from pool A stays in drive 0.
After that has finished, if I start another job (say job B to pool B), the
library will remove the pool A tape from drive 0 and replace it with the pool B
tape in drive 0.

Why doesn't it leave the pool A tape in drive 0 and place the pool B tape in
drive 1? I am still in a testing mode, but the software and autochanger this
will be replacing used the drives in a round-robin mode - every mount would go
to the next higher drive number. For example, the first mount would be drive 0
, the second would be drive 1, third would be drive 2, etc. This spread the
wear across the drives relatively evenly. The way Bacula is currently working
seems to wear out drive 0 the most and the higher drives may or may not ever
get used.

Is there a configuration option I am missing? This seems related to the storage
daemon, so I've listed the relevant part of the SD config below:

Autochanger {
  Name = ADIC-i2000-Autochanger
  Device = Drive-0
  Device = Drive-1
  Device = Drive-2
  Device = Drive-3
  Device = Drive-4
  Changer Command = "/app/bacula/bin/mtx-changer %c %o %S %a %d"
  Changer Device = /dev/changer
}

#
# Bottom drive in library
#
Device {
  Name = Drive-0
  Drive Index = 0
  Media Type = LTO-2
  Archive Device = /dev/nst0
  AutomaticMount = yes               # when device opened, read it
  AlwaysOpen = yes
  RemovableMedia = yes
  RandomAccess = no
  AutoChanger = yes
  Spool Directory = /data/spool
  Alert Command = "sh -c '/usr/sbin/smartctl -H -l error /dev/sg8'"
}

Device {
  Name = Drive-1
  Drive Index = 1
  Media Type = LTO-2
  Archive Device = /dev/nst1
  AutomaticMount = yes               # when device opened, read it
  AlwaysOpen = yes
  RemovableMedia = yes
  RandomAccess = no
  AutoChanger = yes
  Spool Directory = /data/spool
  Alert Command = "sh -c '/usr/sbin/smartctl -H -l error /dev/sg9'"
}

Device {
  Name = Drive-2
  Drive Index = 2
  Media Type = LTO-2
  Archive Device = /dev/nst2
  AutomaticMount = yes               # when device opened, read it
  AlwaysOpen = yes
  RemovableMedia = yes
  RandomAccess = no
  AutoChanger = yes
  Spool Directory = /data/spool
  Alert Command = "sh -c '/usr/sbin/smartctl -H -l error /dev/sg10'"
}

Device {
  Name = Drive-3
  Drive Index = 3
  Media Type = LTO-2
  Archive Device = /dev/nst3
  AutomaticMount = yes;               # when device opened, read it
  AlwaysOpen = yes;
  RemovableMedia = yes;
  RandomAccess = no;
  AutoChanger = yes
  Spool Directory = /data/spool
  Alert Command = "sh -c '/usr/sbin/smartctl -H -l error /dev/sg11'"
}

Device {
  Name = Drive-4
  Drive Index = 4
  Media Type = LTO-2
  Archive Device = /dev/nst4
  AutomaticMount = yes;               # when device opened, read it
  AlwaysOpen = yes;
  RemovableMedia = yes;
  RandomAccess = no;
  AutoChanger = yes
  Spool Directory = /data/spool
  Alert Command = "sh -c '/usr/sbin/smartctl -H -l error /dev/sg12'"
}