Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Problem with plannification

2009-09-22 10:15:04
Subject: [Bacula-users] Problem with plannification
From: "Federico Torres" <ftorres AT ubp.edu DOT ar>
To: <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 10:34:41 -0300
Good morning:
I'm having a problem for quite some time with Bacula. I'm backing up about
30 servers (> 1Tb of info), and despite it all works, this problem is
breaking my head a couple of times a month.

I'm planning a scheme of jobs as follows: 1 Full on the first Sunday of each
month, 1 Differential on the others Sundays, and 1 Incremental every other
days.

It has happened on more than one occasion for various reasons, that some of
the backups took longer than expected (especially on a weekend when
differentials are made). This produces a chain reaction as a task that took
more than a day keeps the remaining tasks of the day and late start, and the
next day tasks still later and everything is delayed until manually cancel
all tasks that in my opinion are useless.

One consequence of this is that the next Monday at time when all servers are
in critical use, bacula continues making delayed copies, significantly
reducing the performance of servers, therefore the quality of service, and
producing simultaneously the backup tasks take longer to complete (further
fueling the chain reaction).

My question is whether there is any configuration parameter, allowing Bacula
automatically cancel a daily job, if it is not executed within 24 hours
following initial planned time.

I hope you understand me.

Thank you very much.

Federico D. Torres