Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Request from a beginner outline of possible setup

2009-09-19 22:18:40
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Request from a beginner outline of possible setup
From: Robert Hartzell <bear AT rwhartzell DOT net>
To: bacula-users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 18:44:36 -0700
On Sat, 2009-09-19 at 16:05 -0500, Harry Putnam wrote:
> I've been using Retrospect on my windows machines to write backups to
> my OpenSolaris zfs server.
>
> It isn't really centralized since I was unwilling to plop down more
> than the initial $150 or so It cost (its been some yrs and upgrades so
> not really sure of what I paid originally), to buy licensenses for
> more than 2 clients.
>
> My operation is really just a home setup with 3 windows XP pro 1
> laptop running Vista, 2 linux machines (1 is my main desktop) and 1
> running Opensolaris as a zfs server.
>
> So 7 machines in all.
>
> I need a centrallized backup seup that can be run from one machine.
> The Solaris server makes the most sense... and I know bacula has
> been/and can be compiled on it.
>
> I've tinkered with bacula before but never really got is going as my
> main backup method.  Also its been several yrs ago now.
>
> What I'd like to see is a brief outline describing how I might go
> about setting up bacula to backup those 6 machines.  (The zfs server
> has its own mirrored pool setup)
>
> My needs put into a diagram might look like:
>
>    mch1  mch2  mch3  mch4  mch5  mch6    OpenSol_server
>     |     |     |     |     |     |          |
>     |     |     |     |     |     |          |
>     |     |     |     |     |     |          |
>   ----------- gigabit switch/router -------------
>                 cable router
>                    INTERNET
>

> The only way I can do them all (all windows) with Retrospect
> is to install Retro on each machine and setup that machines' backup.
>
> That way I have 4 independent backups running and no way to control
> them centrally.  Also leaves 2 linux machines that need their own
> backup setup.
>
> Can someone show an outline of what I'd need to do to get bacula
> working to cover the above diagram and backup the machines to solaris
> server.

One simple solution that you could build on...
Install the Dir, Sd, and FD on the Solaris box
Install an Fd to each client
define client and job resources for each box
define a common file set for WinXP
define a common file set for Linux
define a file set for Solaris
define a file set for Vista

I would recommend starting with a small fileset of a few megs until you
work out the bugs. Start simple and then add features such as TLS and
Data Encryption verifying that all works before moving on.

I can send you a service manifest for bacula if you need one.
Don't forget to turn on compression on your zfs storage pool. I also use
it on my mysql data directory, makes a big difference.

The one thing I love most about bacula... Once setup and configured It
just works!

--
  Robert W Hartzell
bear at rwhartzell.net